Labels

Saturday 13 July 2013

seventeen magazine


Ok, so firstly I apologise for not blogging in forever. I wasn't hectically busy just feeling super lazy and enjoying my holiday.


So most of you know that this holiday I was given the amazing opportunity of interning at Seventeen Magazine and I'm not gonna lie - it was quite cool. I think naturally I just had these super high expectations that no one could ever meet but still I think my experience was worth it.

I was lucky enough to intern Janine Jellars (the editor of Seventeen) and as a bonus I got an extra week of interning compared to the other interns. I met so many amazing girls who I truly consider to be friends now and could not imagine spending my 2 weeks with any other girls.
I think in my head I imagined that it was going to be a total Devil Wears Prada think mixed in with some really young, girly and amazing experiences.

It's really hard trying to explain my experience. I think that like with any experience there was certain things I enjoyed and others I did not.

Things I loved
- my opinion counted. they genuinely cared about what we had to say and took us serious as readers
- the girls I interned with - total beauties
- the kind and friendly faces of the Seventeen Team
- getting to do a photoshoot - not sure if I loved it but I did enjoy it (afterwards)
- doing streetstyle
- going sourcing for outfits
- lunch breaks
- getting to write something which will go into the magazine
- and so much more

Things I didn't enjoy
- the fact that I did not get to be with the person I was interning for the majority of the time. This was simply because they have tiny offices so it would be extremely impractical
- sitting in a separate room with the other interns. I loved the girls but often we felt very excluded
- the limited amount of work we were given

Things I learnt
- Ask as many questions as possible
- if you don't ask for more you won't be given it - this took me a while to realise.I am quite nervous when it comes to people of authority and who I admire so I often find myself in a situation where I am scared to speak up and instead find myself sitting with regret afterwards
- Speak up and be confident
- when meeting new people the best thing is to smile, be friendly and ask lots of questions. The quicker you find similar interests (i.e Baked the Blog) the sooner you'll find yourself with too little time and too much to talk about

There was a point where in all honesty I thought I wasn't enjoying it as much as I thought I would but then the other day on twitter I saw someone bad mouth the magazine - and I took it personally. The thing is I actually love this magazine more than I did before. I know the thorough editing process it goes through and the brainstorming of ideas. I know how critically they look at the magazine and how they aim to create the best possible magazine with what they have. And when I think back none of my stupid complaints really mean anything because as I write this post I am only thinking about the amazing times I had on my 2 week journey as part of the Seventeen Intern Academy

A special thanks to Aadilah, Kelly N, Kelly (Justin Bieber), Christina, Andrea, Meagan, Zenande, Zee, Nicole A, Naledi, Amber, Bianca, Megan, Robyn, Angelique and Nicole VB

remember to follow me on Bloglovin and Facebook for updates on the blog x

Interns from week 1

Janine Jellars (the editor) and I

Interns from week 2











Our cool gift bags

No comments:

Post a Comment