Labels

Sunday 4 August 2013

my midlife crisis

okay, so first thing you should know about my 18 (nearly 19 - eeeeeeeep) year old self is that I'm very dramatic where it comes to my age. I think the night before I turned 15 or 16 I was nearly in tears because I was getting "so old". I have no idea why I have this obsession with being young but I just do and currently I am going through a midlife crisis.

I always imagined that growing up was going to be a very glamorous journey thanks to the lovely misconception American TV shows bring. High School was going to be filled with the most amazing clothes, outrageous parties, cute boys and make-up to die for. Somehow when I reached that stage in life I just was not as superficial as the “typical American teen” – I’m putting that in quotation marks because I think it’s a very fake version of what teenage girls are like in America or anywhere in the world and seeing as over the last week most of my viewers were from the USA I don’t want to offend anyone. I’m not going to say that I didn’t love clothes – because I still do and my friends and I spent faaaar too much time discussing boys but that’s not all that we were. I wanted to accomplish so much not only in high school but while I am young. I wanted to change the world. Be known as the girl who moves mountains and creates a change not only in her community but her country at large.

And when it came time to choose varsities or career paths I was so confused that I ended up applying to only one university with such different application courses that it’s a miracle I was chosen and accepted. But now I realize I’m studying a course of basically 8 years. That means that by the time I’m done studying I’m 24 and then working another 2 years as a requirement to my degree. I’ll be 26 before I can do anything of value to this world.

This is the type of mindset I’ve ALWAYS had – constantly putting limitations to what I’m able to achieve. “I’ll do my first lookpost once I’ve gone shopping and got a really amazing outfit" or "I’ll do my DIY post but I first need a better camera.” Somehow everything I wanted to do in life – not only on my blog but in personal goals and dreams I’ve had for myself - had a constraint to it that prevented it from happening.

I’m not sure exactly what this post is leading to but I know that if I want to be successful at anything in life or make an accomplishment that makes me happy I have to put in the effort and break through the barriers that my constraints have created. I’ve made a list for myself of things I would like to accomplish by the end of the year and with just less than 5 months of the year left I think it’s more than enough time.

What would you like to achieve this year still and how are you going to fight the limitations that we all so easily put on ourselves. Remember that it’s all about being a better you and how you’re able to aid society because at the end of the day your happiness is important but a story or journey is so much more special when it transcends to someone else.

How are you going to make the last few months of 2013 memorable?

4 comments:

  1. Awesome article!:) im 19 i feel the same! it real is a mid life crisis feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the same thing with limitations! I put so much stuff on the back burner so I can prepare it "perfectly" and then I end up taking photos I never share or designing things I haven't yet produced. Here's to just doing instead of always planning! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this post, Zina! It's so you, so inspirational! *wipes tear*

    ReplyDelete