Labels

Wednesday 6 March 2013

time for those new year's resolutions



Sitting awake at 12 o clock at night is not ideal. I’ve been so busy and sleep deprived I found myself waking up on the cold hard floor of our TV room in a very unappealing and awkward position. Varsity is just so much. I’ve never had to handle excessive such workloads, sitting in such a big classroom or feeling so small, unintelligent and in the bigger scheme of things minute. Right now I feel like I’m just part of statistics and it’s up to me to decide whether I’m going to belong to the group that makes it or the group that doesn’t.

So instead of just lying in bed and waiting for sleep to catch up on me I decided to wake up, get inspired and start studying which is something I’ve really been struggling with lately. I’m a last minute kind of girl. The one who has to feel the pressure before she starts working and in my uncles words to me “It’s human nature to be like that” but now it’s time for me to fight my own limitations.

I hated chemistry at school to say the least and it reflected in my poor marks. I can’t even say I liked the subject but just couldn’t cope under exam or test conditions which I often tried to convince myself. And just my luck I find it to be one of my main subjects this year. I find myself sitting in class having absolutely no idea what’s going on and being too scared to put up my hand and ask questions and just not motivated enough to look for the answers. Instead I find myself continuously checking facebook, twitter or just simply doing other work provided I’m not just closing my eyes for a few moments hoping it would wake me up.

So what motivated me at 12 o clock to start working? My New Year’s resolution. I know its March and to be completely honest most of us have given up. I saw the statuses in January already “who still does New Year’s Resolutions – it never lasts” or “New Years’ resolutions are just a waste of time.”  .I get it, we tend to give up so easily when things become tough but think about it: what are our new years’ resolutions? In my opinion they are positive changes we make hoping to benefit ourselves and others. I promised myself that I would work hard this year and if I can’t even do it for myself who can I do it for?

Yes I know those healthy eating ideas have disappeared and replaced by fast food and those gym memberships you took out are now simply a transaction that happens once a month or basically a waste of your money. I want to encourage you to not give up. Start fulfilling your resolutions today and if you fail tomorrow is another day where you can wake up and try again. That’s the beauty of life, everyday is a new opportunity to grow and be or do something amazing it’s simply up to you. You will never regret having that one healthy meal or going to the gym and pushing yourself, these small things may be forgotten but they will benefit you anyway.

I can’t say I’m not going to study for my chemistry test (next week Wednesday) because I don’t like it. If I fail I’m simply going to be one less in a class of 400. I need to do this for myself because the good things are tough but that makes it worthwhile doesn’t it? When you work hard and achieve what you want so badly that you gave it your everything. That sense of accomplishment flourishes throughout your body and over whelms your soul with this indescribable happiness and knowing you did it for yourself makes it that much better.
 
So let’s make a toast to our New Years’ resolutions. The ones that we’ve given up on but we going to start again or the ones we’ve been working hard on maintaining. Let’s do it for the simple reason that we deserve it.

 : follow me on Bloglovin and Twitter for updates about the blog  

No comments:

Post a Comment