Labels

Sunday 5 May 2013

winter skin blues


When I think of winter, before I think of the electric blanket, furry coats or boots I think that along with winter comes terribly dry skin. I'm not sure if I'm the only person who suffers from bad winter skin or whether it's aided by my eczema but all I know is last year my skin got BAD and I decided to prevent that from happening this again this year. I have to put together a plan of action and so far it has worked.

This is my soft skin plan of action for the winter:

This is what you'll need :

1. A tub of aqueous cream (it's really cheap and available at your local pharmacy. Clicks and Dischem stock them too. I paid only R10.50 for a big tub of 500ml at my local pharmacy )
2. Brown sugar
3. Vaseline
4. Face wash (I use the Environ B-active Sebuwash and I really love it. As much as I like to try different products I somehow always find myself being drawn back to this)
5. Face mask (I use the Environ B-active Sebumasque but you can try some DIY masks aswell and try to find a great natural moisturiser)

1. Environ Sebumasque. 2. Environ Face wash 3. AMB Aqua Aqueous cream b.p 4. Vaseline 5. Brown Sugar

This is my weekly routine and hopefully it works for you too:

Mornings:

I wash my face with face wash. Remember to wash with warm water so that it can open your pores and clean out all the dirt it. Then rinse your face with cold water to seal your pores again.
I don't use a toner because my dermatologist told me I shouldn't as it just takes away all of your skin's natural oils.
Finally I just put some aqueous cream on my skin and body. I prefer aqueous cream as my skin is very sensitive and dry. This formula of fragrance and colourant free leaves my skin feeling moisturised and happy

Evenings:

I follow the same procedure for my face
At night I lather vaseline on my skin. I know this sounds weird but trust me it makes your skin feel amazing (I got this tip from Khloe Kardashian from some or other interview). If you don't want that oily feeling on your skin you can just put vaseline on dry patches or skin that requires lots of moisture such as your feet, elbows and knees. I do suggest to only doing this during winter as I can only imagine how sticky you'd feel in pajama shorts and vaseline on your skin.

Once a week:

Use a mask on your skin just to moisturise it and take care of it. I like to put the mask on when I am taking a lovely warm bath as the steam opens your pores allowing the mask to work even better.

Twice a week:

This is my favourite tip and my favourite part of looking after my skin. I like to scrub my skin as it leaves it feeling as soft as a baby's bottom. I got this tip from a friend who studied beauty therapy and with every skin complaint her answer would be "exfoliate". I didn't have an exfoliator at home so I just decided to mix some of my aqueous cream with brown sugar. You don't need to use brown sugar; I just use it because that's what we have in the house. All you need to do is to take a bowl and mix in some brown sugar. I advise you to put in as much sugar as possible as it is a better scrub and works so much better. Just take some of your scrub into your hands and rub it in circles on your skin. You’ll immediate feel the difference once you rinse the scrub off. I advise you to scrub for a bit as the longer you do it the better it works. Just don’t overdo it and bruise your skin or scrub till it’s raw. Remember to moisturise after you scrub as your skin now needs that extra moisture.

I really hope this helps you and takes your of any dry skin problems

Lots of love and have an amazing week

Remember to follow me on facebook and bloglovin for updates of the blog


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these tips. I always get winter skin, itchy and dry, I'm sure this will help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it solves yours as well as it solved mine :)

      Delete